1. End the Harlem Containment Zone: Unless supervised injection sites are spread out widely in NYC, the sites located in communities of color become magnets that attract drug dealers and users. We demand that supervised injection sites be located in all neighborhoods - starting with whiter and wealthier communities.
2. Impose Zoning Restrictions: Injection sites should never be placed within 500 feet of schools
3. Address Open Air Drug Dealing: Increase efforts to arrest drug dealers and breakup open-air drug scene. Create and use Dissuasion Committees to push people suffering from substance use disorder into treatment
4. Formalize Community Engagement: Supervised injection sites should be tasked with accounting for any impact on their host community before and during operation
5. Enforce Standardized Data Collection: Publish injection site usage data to confirm sites are used by local residents and not attracting non-local users. Use this data to also measure success in helping patients transition treatment and recovery
6. Add More Addiction Treatment Programs in Treatment Deserts: Every NYC community district needs local prevention, treatment, & harm reduction services. Currently, 36 out of 64 NYC assembly districts have no treatment programs whatsoever